“Swamiye Saranam Ayyappa” Ayyappa Swamy Deeksha increases your ability to keep mind and soul under control and incline towards devotion (spiritual). There are various restrictions – niyamalu and people who are in mala dharana follow strict rules.
Ayyappa Swamy resides in Sabari Hills (Sabarimala) which is located at Pathanamthitta in Kerala. Ayyappa son of Harihara (Hari means Vishnu, Hara means Shiva) is worshiped by devotees with dedication. He is seen in a yogic posture, wearing a jewel around his neck, hence also called as Manikanta, which literally means “person with gem around the neck”.
A visit to Sabarimala brings spiritual inclination, prosperity, Happiness to devotees and all his/her wishes, desires are fulfilled. Karthika Masam, Dhanur Maasam (15 Nov – 15 Jan) months are most auspicious for Sabarimala pilgrimage.
Most Pilgrims and Ayyappa’s be at Sabarimala Temple in Kerala to see the Makara Jyothi a light which is visible on Makara Sankranti day (14 January every year) as its a belief that Lord Ayyappa himself appears in the form of jyothi to bless all his devotees.
About Ayyappa Swamy Mala Deeksha
Ayyappa Deeksha is 41 days observation done by following brahmacharya, he who takes mala should live as Brahmachari following rules & regulations.
Who Can Take Ayyappa Swamy Mala Deeksha?
Males: Any one can take ayyappa swamy mala deeksha.
Females: Below age 10 and above 50 can observe ayyappa swamy deeksha.
When To Take Ayyappa Swamy Mala Deeksha?
Deeksha is taken during Mandala Kalam which falls between 2nd week of November and January (Sankranthi). As per Kerala Calendar Mandalam starts on first day of Kartika Masam.
Where And How To Take Ayyappa Swamy Mala Dharana?
Mala Dharana can be done in any temple. It is usually done by Guruswami (who had been to Sabrimala 18 times) at the temple. Suppose if the devotee has no Guru, he has to wear it in a temple, after placing the mala at the feet of the Lord, perform archana through the priest offering him Dakshina, and considering the Lord Himself as Guru and then wear the mala (Rudraksham or Tulasi).
In Pamba or Sannidham you should not remove Mala as deeksha ends after returning home (place where you kept peetam or idol) from Sabarimala.
Things To Remember / Do When You Are In Ayyappa Swamy Mala Deeksha-Ayyappa Swamy Deeksha Niyamalu
1) Take bath in early morning and evening with cold water. (Speak to your guru Swamy regarding usage of Soap and Shampoo).
2) Visit temple daily.
3) Do the pooja twice a day, morning (before sun rise) and evening (after sunset).
4) Puja should be done daily by receiting Ganesh Ashotharam, Subramanyam & Ayyappan.
5) Chant Hairivarasanam only after evening Pooja.
6) No need for cooked Prasadam every day. Fruits as Naivedyam for Ayyappan are OK.
7) In the evening once you come home from work take bath immediately.
8) The Mala worn with the blessing of Guru should not be removed even during bathing.
9) Wear only Black Dress.
10) Dont sleep in the Afternoon.
11) You should never take the mala out.
12) Wear fresh clothes every day. Try to keep two or more pairs of black dress and wash used clothes every day.
13) No Breakfast.
14) Lunch: Should take fresh cooked food before noon. No left overs from previous day.
15) Dinner: Should take light food like, upma, idli etc.
16) No onion,garlic, egg or meat products.
17) Outside food should be completely avoided.
18) If anyone calls you for Annadanam you should not refuse the invitation. Make sure the meal is prepared after taking bath etc.
19) When you or your spouse is preparing meal, make sure you clean the stove before cooking.
20) Avoid the enemies like Lust, Anger, Greed and Seductive Attraction. (kama, krodha, moha, lobha…)
21) Sleep on ground without pillow and bed.
22) NO Entertainment. (you should no go to party, play games, watch TV or listen to film music etc )
23) Do not hurt others feelings either by word or action, control your anger.
24) Speak truth and talk less.
25) Call all women (including wife) as ‘Matha’ and men as ‘Swamy’
26) Bramhacharyam: Should not even touch your spouse.
27) During monthly cycle for women, husband taking Deeksha is not supposed to see the wife at all. If staying in same house/apartment then keep distance and dont touch. While on work unknowingly you might touch women when in their monthly cycles so it is recommended to take bath immediately you reach home from outside.
28) No Smoking, Drinking, gambling, chewing of pan.
29) No footwear.
30) Not supposed to shave your beard, comb your hair and hair cuttings.
31) Try to attend as many as bhajans in your deeksha time.
32) Try to have tulasi leaf with you to be away from evil thoughts.
33) All round the work time, keep your mind only focused on the Lord.
34) As far as possible, eating and dining out can be avoided. In the worst inevitable case, follow strict vegetarianism.
35) Ensure that you don’t hurt anybody either verbally or by action.
36) When you meet a peer, who is in the 48-day observation, treat him on par Lord Ayyappa. Tell him Sharanam and offer pranams to him.
37) There is no age, degree or other demarcatory restrictions in this whatsoever.
38) Your Guruswamy is your Ayyappa, pay respect and give your services.
39) Before your Sabarimala Yatra begins, if you are able to do ANNADANAM then do pooja and feed the poor.
40) Do not tease anybody or any living things
41) Do not earn illegal money.
42) Do not scold any Ayyappa even they are your disciple.
43) Do not point out other’s mistakes
44) Do not take part in Court Cases and stand surety for anybody during this period.
45) Do not take part in Dramas or in Cinemas in which you have to act in undesirable scenes and avoid seeing such Cinemas.
46) Either knowingly or unknowingly, do not commit sins.
47) After having Dharsanam and after reaching home only remove the Malas. Once you reach home break coconut at entrance, keep Prasadam in pooja room and take bath. Give Harathi to Prasadam with Naivedyam, distribute it to the entire family and remove the Mala yourself by chanting the Mantra for the removal of Mala, if you don’t know it ask your guru swamy.
48) You have to remove mala by your Guruswamy or by any temple priest. However, some books say that the Mala should be removed by your Gurusamy at the same place where you put your Mala on.
49) Attending marriages, new born ceremonies, death etc should be avoided. In unfortunate situation if you encounter a birth or death in your family then you have to surrender the mala to Lord Ayyappa photo. You can take deeksha next year.
Kanni Swamies Assignment:
All Kanni Swamies irrespective of age will have to go around Pampa and collect ashes from 108 stoves of Ayyappas who are cooking the food. Please do not collect from the shops. It is believed that Lord Ayyappan as a devotee will visit the places where food is prepared by Swamies. After the ashes are collected it has to be handed over to Guruswamy.
With inputs from high professionals hope the above information would help you a great way in getting up with the Spiritual observation for Lord Ayyappa to get His complete blessings. “Swamiye Saranam Ayyappa “.